Saturday, January 19, 2008

Solo in Sorrento

This morning when Chris offered for me to go to Sorrento and take pictures while he stayed home with the children, I couldn't jump off the couch and get ready quick enough. The words "F-R-E-E-D-O-M" rang through my head.



This past week has been one of those weeks where I really wonder if I am cut out for my job. I love my children, I really do. They are nice kids, fairly clean and pretty cute (in my bias opinion). However, when you put an infant and a VERY two-year-old BOY together it can get a little tricky, to say the least. Chris had to work some long hours this past week, so it was just the three of us (HELP). Let's see....Oliver managed to get a hold of A & D ointment (a vaseline-like diaper rash ointment) and spread it all over his room - the walls, the bed, the changing table and the floor when I thought he was quietly sleeping. I suppressed all my frustration with him and let him help me clean it up. Then, the next day, he got a hold of a marker and drew on the crib, the white bedskirt and bumper. Again, while very frustrated, I managed to remain under control. After those two incidents and the normal wear and tear of children, I was ready for a little "vaca" from the family (really just the children). So, like I said, I couldn't accept Chris's offer quick enough.



Before leaving, I hurriedly put together a mix for the cd player with as many chick tunes as possible. As I pulled out of the driveway, I was almost giddy with excitement...I was off to Sorrento with my camera, a jacket, a fun cd and time. Down the mountain I drove, admittedly like a wild woman. I became a true Neapolitan, swerving in and out of traffic, screaming at drivers that cut me off - it was as though I was releasing all the frustration I had from the week and lovin' every minute of it. The music was blaring and I was jamming. Right when I hit the Amalfi Coast, in a mere one hour (barely enough time to get through the mix), the sunroof went open and the windows came down (albeit I had to crank the heater up and put on a jacket) to enjoy the full effect of driving on the coast. So now, my music was blarin', I was singing unabashedly, the shoulders were shakin', the hair was blowing in the wind, the metal was to the metal and the stress from this past week was literally falling by the wayside.



It was a pure delight to zip around Sorrento by myself. I stopped at almost every shoe store to check out the sales. In Italy, there are two big sales a year - January and July - and I have been biding my time for months for this moment when I could buy a pair of boots! Finally, I found -the most perfect and impractical boots ever for a stay-at-home-Mom, but remember at that moment I was footloose and fancy-free, practically was not on my radar - stiletto, tall, black boots. I even had the saleslady take a picture of me wearing them (kindly suggesting that she could get even a better picture than the first if she stepped back a little and went down on one knee).



I strolled through the shops on the cobblestone streets and even jogged down to the marina because I couldn't get there fast enough. Again, this was my trip and I could act as strange I liked. I took all kinds of pictures from every angle and soaked in the sun, Mt. Vesuvius, the boats and the sea. Around lunchtime, I picked up some fresh bread and a glass bottle of Coca Cola at the bakery - the coke couldn't have tasted better.



After lunch, it was about time to head on back home. I was ready to get back and see the children and mostly to see Christopher. As I drove home, listening to Miley Cyrus and Fergi, I felt rejuvenated and ready to face the world (I mean the children).

No comments: